This article will highlight some of the interesting facts people know and do not know about the current best pound-for-pound boxer of our time, Manny Pacquiao. After reading this article you should already have an idea of the life Manny Pacquiao went through from his early days of obscurity and hardship up to the present day of his triumph and glory.
1. Manny Pacquaio was born on December 17, 1978 in Kibawe, Philippines.
2. His real name is Emmanuel Dapidran Pacquaio.
3. He is the fourth among six siblings.
4. At 14, Manny left his hometown and went to Manila to begin the life of Amateur Boxing.
5. Because of extreme poverty, there were times that he was forced to live in the streets of Manila.
6. The death of his close friend and fellow peer in boxing compelled Pacquiao to strive for a professional career in boxing.
7. Manny Pacquaio is a natural southpaw. However, recent opponents who have relied on this have reason to believe his right is also a force to be reckoned with. They have learned this mistake the hard way, usually while lying on the canvass.
8. Pacman, as what he is fondly called, is also an eight division world champion. To be specific he has also won ten world titles in the eight different weight divisions. He is reportedly the first boxer in history to achieve this feat.
9. Manny Pacquaio has been included in Nike’s ad campaign namely “Fast Forward”. He stands alongside the likes of sports greats such as Maria Sharapova, Tiger Woods and Kobe Bryant.
10. Manny Pacquaio has attempted to delve into the movie business. However, the outcome of his movies where he is the star such as “Wapakman” did not fare well in the box office.
11. Besides boxing, Manny Pacquaio also has interest in business and politics. For business, he has already established a chain of companies some of them under the initials of his name “MP”. He also has performed and recorded a few songs in the national Filipino Language, Tagalog. For politics, Manny Pacquaio is currently the incumbent representative of the hometown of his wife Jinkee which is Sarangani Province.
12. In one of San Miguel Beer’s advertisements, Manny Pacquiao appears together with one of his former challengers, Erik Morales.
13. Also, in another advertisement of San Miguel Beer, Manny Pacquaio appears alongside Jet Li and other famous Filipino movie stars.
14. Manny Pacquiao has been included in Time Magazine’s 100 most influential people of all time for the year 2009.
15. Manny Pacquiao is not only a fierce and fearless fighter, he is also known to show compassion to his opponents. In his fight with Antonio Margarito, Manny chose not throw any lethal punches to save Antonio’s swollen right eye. After the fight he is reported to have said ““Boxing is not for killing each other, you know.”
16. Even at his height of only 5’6, Manny Pacquaio has defeated taller opponents. Some of them include Oscar de la Hoya and Antonio Margarito. Some of his taller opponents have been defeated by knockout.
17. In one of Manny Pacquaio’s fights, he reportedly threw 1,231 punches. This translates to a whopping 100 punches per round. This was during his fight against Joshua Clottey.
18. Floyd Mayweather Jr. has been known to repeatedly find excuses not to go against Manny Pacquiao. Word on the street is that Floyd Mayweather thinks Manny Pacquaio has got what it takes to give him his first loss.
19. Manny Pacquaio is reportedly the first Filipino Athlete to be featured on a postage stamp.
20. Kevin Garnett and the rest of the Boston Celtics are avid fans of Manny Pacquiao. Manny has been made an honorary member of the NBA basketball team and was given a replica Boston Celtics jersey that bears his name and the number 1. Other notable fans of the famous pugilist music artist Beyonce Knowles, Hollywood actors Mark Wahlberg, Ron Perlman and Harry Potter actor Daniel Radcliffe.
21. Manny Pacquaio is also featured in the video game series known as Fight Night. He has appeared in parts 2, 3, 4 and champion series.
22. Everytime Manny fights, the traffic and crime rate of the Philippines goes down significantly. There are times that during his fight, the crime rate goes down to zero.
23. Psychologists and other social science practitioners have coined a term named the “Pacquaio Effect”. This effect is associated with the feeling of Filipino Nationalism that Filipinos feel when they watch Manny Pacquiao fight.
There you have it, the 23 interesting facts about Manny Pacquiao that I have compiled and researched so far. These 23 facts do not delve into every detail of Manny’s life. Manny will still achieve numerous, greater achievements that sports writers and sports enthusiasts all over the world will chronicle. He will continue to amaze us with his remarkable talent even beyond his boxing career.